Key Christchurch contact numbers

For all emergencies please call 111 immediately – for government assistance with the earthquake please call 0800 779 997

Missing People

The number to call is 0800 RED CROSS (0800 733 276).
People enquiring from outside New Zealand should call +64 7 850 2199

Power and Gas

Orion are working to restore power & ask you NOT to contact them UNLESS it’s an emergency. Visit their website for full details. Their Emergency 24 hour hotline is 0800 363 9898.

Christchurch City Council

If you need to contact the city council for any reason their customer service line is now being staffed 03 941 8999

Health & Well Being

Most general practice teams across Canterbury are open. If you cannot contact your usual practice, please call (03) 365 7777. If you do not have a general practitioner (GP/doctor) please contact (03) 365 7777.

If you are receiving assistance from the specialist mental health service and on medication, please contact your case manager or psychiatric district nurse. If you cannot contact these people, please ring (03) 364 0482.

Home oxygen or Bi-Pap machines: If you are using a breathing device such as an oxygen concentrator or Bi-Pap machine, and your power supply is interrupted, find an alternative power source if at all possible. If you cannot find a power source, do not call 111 unless your breathing is severely distressing. Call Cardio/Respiratory Outreach during work hours – (03) 364 0167. If your call is not answered, leave a detailed message. Your call will be attended to as soon as possible. If it is after hours please call (03) 364 0640.

Other medical equipment: If you are using medical equipment such as a nebuliser or sleep apnoea machine (e.g. a CPAP machine) that requires power or running water, and these are not available in your home, please go to your nearest welfare centre.

Housing & Accommodation

if you need assistance finding emergency temporary accommodation call 0800 HELP 00 (0800 435 700). Property owners or households with accommodation to offer can also call this number.

For Housing New Zealand tenants calling about damage to their home, or to alert the Corporation to their whereabouts there is list of plumbing services.

Emotional Support

If you, your family or someone you know needs someone to talk to, you can be put in touch with a range of support and counselling services for free. For someone to talk to, call 0800 777 846.

Water & Waste Water

For all urgent water enquiries please contact (03) 941 7210. If sewage is coming out on the street call (03) 941 7210.

Pets, Animals – RSPCA

The following details are provided by the RSPCA for the Canterbury/Christchurch region

  • For all emergencies between 9am – 4pm call: (03) 349 7057 (ext 201 or 205)
  • For all emergencies outside these hours call: (03) 366 3886
  • If you have lost or found a dog – please call Animal Control on (021) 240 8310
  • If you have lost any other pet – please call SPCA Animal Centre on (03) 349 7057
  • If you have found a cat – please call SPCA Animal Centre on (03) 349 7057
  • Online: register your lost pet on or

No related posts.